The holiday season is a time of festivity and celebration that is exciting for the whole family. The activities and excitement of the season, however, can lead our beloved pets to become exposed to hazards that are not as commonly found other times of the year. Decorations, candles, potpourri, and other strange smells and tastes intrigue our pets and may cause them to get into harm’s way. Read on to learn more about the common health hazards that can present themselves during the holiday season.
- Tinsel, ribbon, and other shiny wrapping items are very appealing to a playful cat. Unfortunately, if your cat ingests any of these items, they can make him or her very sick. String-like foreign bodies cause damage to the gastrointestinal tract when one end is stuck while the rest is pulled along by the contraction of the intestines. These contractions cause the ribbon to tear the intestines and cause serious damage.
- Holiday lights are another hazard that arises only at this time of year. The cords of indoor and outdoor decorative lights can be used as a chew toy by curious cats and dogs, causing electric shock, burns, and even death.
- The water added to the Christmas tree stand can be seen as a novel and exciting water source to a pet. If you add chemicals to your tree stand in the effort to preserve the freshness of your Christmas tree, make sure that it is safe for pets.
- Christmas ornaments that are used to decorate the tree can cause disastrous damage to a pet’s mouth and stomach. Many are made by fragile materials that are very sharp when broken.
If you have a hard time keeping your pets from getting into the holiday decorations, a child gate or two can prevent them from accessing the tree and decorations at times when they are not directly observed. This holiday season, Paws, Whiskers & Wags is donating pet-themed gift baskets to charity to celebrate the relationships we have with our beloved animal companions. Learn more about our services by calling us any time at (404) 370-6000.